31 January 2008

walking to work


the last day of january always finds me in a contemplative mood. about this time, the new year starts to feel not so new. january is my birthday month and i always get excited come late december because it feels like everyone is celebrating what a new year means to them and that importance for me always seems to allocate a bit of itself to my birthday as if by proxy.

this morning's walk to work, i found myself taking a different route down polk street. as i passed our gorgeous city hall and started to cut over to grove street, it began to drizzle. the light was perfectly diffused when i walked by the lush oasis pictured above, an empty lot nestled between buildings that i've passed and admired countless times. it is always so shocking and kind of bittersweet to see such rampant vegetation squatting in a stark urban environment. i was listening to sweet thing by my man van, and it was a singular moment, i'm telling you.

No comments: